The Playlist: Portishead

Of course.

One of the coolest bands to come out of the 90s, Portishead formed in Bristol the year that I was born (that in itself makes me feel close to them) and I can't stop listening to their three studio albums lately. The electronic trip hop taps into my favourite kind of dirty sound, and I am obsessed with Beth Gibbons' high-pitched and fragile vocals.

The band are famously averse to press coverage, but have never failed to sell plenty of records. And in 2003, 'Dummy' was was selected to sit among Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Portishead and Third are brilliant too.

As for the individual songs, Machine Gun is beautiful rasping noise coupled with pure delicate vocals; Undenied breaks my heart and Glory Box is just an icon.

Portishead, Primavera Sound 2008 | Photo: Alterna2






Visit: portishead.co.uk




Comments

  1. Have you got their live album? It's amazing also xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh not yet – I certainly shall! + I was the fool that missed them at Glastonbury this year...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts