Monday, 28 April 2014

The Playlist: Ólöf Arnalds



I first came across singer-songwriter Ólöf Arnalds when I was in Reykjavík covering the contemporary orchestral music festival Tectonics. She was singing in an orchestral piece, Og upphófst raustin, which she co-wrote with established Icelandic composer Skúli Sverrison. 

Her voice is very sweet and fragile, yet also powerful enough to contend with a symphony orchestra in the main auditorium of Harpa concert hall. I rushed to 'google' her as soon as I got back to my hotel room.

Songs like Surrender, Innundir Skinni and German Fields are delightfully quirky yet, as I said, powerful in their sweetness. She has collaborated with Björk and performed for Yoko Ono last time she visited Iceland.

Arnalds has released three albums: Við og Við, Innundir Skinni and Sudden Elevation.






Visit: olofarnalds.com





No comments:

Post a Comment