Saturday, 13 September 2014

Oldenburg, Lower Saxony

Regular readers of my blog will know that I am lucky enough to travel occasionally for work. Last weekend, it was a trip to the beautiful town of Oldenburg in Lower Saxony, Germany for the fantastic annual music festival there, the theme of which this year was glück –  or happiness.

In my opinion, any festival with that theme is worth checking out. I don't know about you, but the amount if negativity, snide criticism, general bitching and mundane dissatisfaction surrounding me in daily life (both online and off) seems staggering at times. So to spend some time in a stunning part of the world with fellow journos celebrating happy lifestyles and cheerful good fortune through music was more than ideal.

The opening weekend of the Niedersächische Musiktage involved a musical bike ride, a stroll around the gorgeous town with the traditional German fairytale Hans im Glück, a musical church service and an afternoon spent with brilliant band ?Schmaltz!, whose hugely entertaining brand of klezmer is genius and infectious (watch a video below). And the weekend's gala concert was stunning – a performance by Jonathan Nott and the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra of works by Ives, Schubert and Beethoven, it was one of the best concerts I have been to.

As with all my travels, I took my 1970s Pentax k1000 along with me and captured some of it in 35mm. This is how it looked...
















Visit rosiepentreathphotography.tumblr.com for more of my travel photography. My piece on the Niedersächische Musiktage will be published in the July 2015 issue of BBC Music Magazine



If you like this, why not try:

A weekend in Berlin
Spreepark, Berlin







1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photos Rosie, as per usual. Hope you had a really wonderful time. I really love that one of the colourful graffiti - I wish everywhere were a little bit more colourful xx

    ReplyDelete